VIRTUAL ANTENATAL CLASSES (for the time being)
During this period of social distancing, we’re running our classes via the video chat system, Zoom, where we create an atmosphere that feels like everyone is in the room. The sessions are super interactive and the screen is no barrier to the warmth and energy of our instructors, who answer your questions, share evidence-based information and kickstart friendships.
Just like our in-person classes (which will be back after social distancing measures are lifted), our virtual experience is for local people whose babies are due around the same time as each other. We know how much you value having a group of like-minded locals to share the highs and lows with, along with playdates, precious milestones and first birthdays! Bump & Baby Club babies have gone on holiday together, seen each other though nursery, taken their first steps into big school together and even welcomed baby siblings side by side! Whether you take our course online or in-person, the people you meet will become invaluable every step of the way.
Most of our team members are midwives who are currently working in busy hospitals – they have the very latest Coronavirus information and news from the frontline of birth and are dedicated to giving you the best preparation possible during these unprecedented times.
WHY CHOOSE US
We’re not stuck in the dark ages, using old-fashioned ideas and teaching you much of what you already know. Our emphasis is on the practical, and our teachers draw on the very latest evidence-based research. As well as covering all aspects of labour and birth, we address those crucial early days and weeks of parenthood, including plenty of practical tips and advice on how to care for your newborn.
Whether you’d like a home birth, water birth, epidural or c-section, our course is the place for you. We aim to prepare people for any eventuality in labour and to inspire them to feel great about themselves whatever type of birth they end up having, and whatever style of parenting they choose.
Baby first aid is one of the most important things you can learn as an expectant parent and we cover what to do if your baby is unconscious, not breathing or choking. Our in-person course includes a 2-hour session on this, with hands-on practice with resuscitation mannequins. If you’re attending our course virtually, you’ll have access to our specially created baby first aid videos to watch outside of class hours. (we aren’t running the session over Zoom and have reduced the course price by £50 to account for this)
Our friendly and supportive experts are more than happy to answer your questions or talk you through any concerns you may be having after the course has finished and during your first few months with your new baby.
Included in the course package is The Bumplet – our carefully written guide to having a baby. Slicing through the overwhelm of information on the internet, The Bumplet addresses essential things to know about becoming a parent and includes useful links for further reading. Entirely mobile friendly and easy to digest, you can pull it up on your device or print it out for note scribbling – it’s the perfect accompaniment to our classes and a brilliant resource for the months that follow.
We are extremely proud of our carefully selected team of experts. Not only do they have the highest level of qualifications and experience, they are engaging, inspiring and, without a doubt, amongst the most well-loved antenatal experts in the UK.
We are big on the social side of things, so included in our course package is an indulgent tea soon after the course has finished – a final hurrah before the babies arrive!
If you’re taking our virtual course, your group has the option of either:
– delaying your afternoon tea until social distancing measures have been lifted or
– having a Virtual Party, where we send some delicious treats to your home and everyone logs-on for a chat (whilst enjoying the treats obvs)!
Included within the price of your antenatal classes is our fantastic, complete Hypnobirthing course. Learn everything there is to know about Hypnobirthing and give yourself the best possible chance of a calm, comfortable and empowering birth.
Having friends who live locally with babies the same age can be invaluable during the early days of parenthood, as well as for many years to come. We make sure everyone’s due dates are around the same time to ensure companionship and support when it counts, and of course a ready-made group of buddies for your babies! A group contact list is sent out shortly before the course starts, a WhatsApp group gets going pretty soon after that and the rest is history!
Labour, Birth and Baby-care:
– Final stages of pregnancy and getting ready for birth
– Early signs of labour and coping at home
– When to call the midwives/come
– Coping with labour: natural strategies and different types of pain-relief medication
– Birth partner’s role in labour
– Straightforward birth
– Induction of labour
– Ventouse and forceps delivery
– Caesarean birth
– Home birth
– What happens immediately after birth
– Going home and the early weeks with your baby/babies
– Practical skills – nappy changing, bathing, swaddling, umbilical cord care and more…
– How to deal with a crying baby
– How to encourage a good sleeping and feeding pattern
– Postpartum healing – how to deal with stitches and sore perineums.
– Your emotional health
Breastfeeding and bottle feeding:
– Getting started
– Establishing a good milk supply
– Positioning and technique
– Recognizing your baby’s/babies feeding cues
– How to encourage a good sleeping and feeding pattern
– How to tell if your baby/babies is/are getting enough milk
– How to manage common breastfeeding problems
– When to seek advice
– Expressing milk
– bottle and formula feeding
Baby first aid:
– What to do if your baby is unconscious, not breathing or choking
– Our in-person course includes hands-on practice with resuscitation mannequins
WHO TO BRING
The course is for you and your partner or birth partner. You are extremely welcome to come alone or with a friend or relative.
WHO’LL BE THERE
We can take a maximum of 11 couples per course and groups are arranged so everyone’s due dates are roughly within 4 weeks of each other